Friday, March 5, 2010

High Density

Okay, I've come to the conclusion that all of my posts are just gonna be hella random. I mean, humans do and think about a lot of stuff, so why would I only write about one topic? Pfffft... (shakes head)

Anyway, get used to it.

I have many links today. So don't read this post if you are trying to get papers and homework done the week before spring break... or do read this post if you are trying to get papers and homework done the week before spring break... hmmmm...
_

"There isn't a protective bubble around you if you wreck. It will hurt and you will be sad."

-Some group ride leader for a road cycling group writing about the difference between wrecking in a vehicle and wrecking on a bicycle.
(I haven't found out how much it hurts or how sad it could make me... yet. Knock on card table.)
_

I miss the Olympics.
_

I don't care what you say, there are only about five pieces of music and five films from the 80's that I like. I don't know exactly which films and songs get this distinction. Everything else makes me want to vomit. I think this is the curse of being born near the end of a decade- I just wasn't old enough to appreciate aspects of American culture from that time. If you like 80's music and film, enjoy them.
_

I laughed for such a long time after reading this a few days ago, at the quote at the end. And yeah, I just read it again and laughed about as much as I did a few days ago. Just... read it.
_

Dear citizens of the United States of America,

The rest of the world has discovered and enjoys good dance music. Catch up. Here's a hint:



Love,
Me

P.S. I know plenty of people and some cities in the States have figured it out, but... not enough, in my opinion.
_

_

_

Disclaimer: Complaining below...

I've been debating about whether I want to say anything about this, but I shall- If you are driving a motor vehicle and are at or are approaching a four-way-stop and there is cyclist approaching one of the stop signs, when it's your turn to go, pleeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaase do NOT "be careful" by going through the intersection at 0.2 mph. I appreciate that you are taking things slowly and you are doing your best to keep cyclists safe, but, how do I explain this... a bicycle is moved forward by the energy exerted by the cyclist. The speed that we gain while pedaling sticks around, even if we don't pedal (aka coasting.) So, when I'm coasting, approaching the stop sign and each driver decides to "be careful" by taking 5 minutes to get through the intersection, I lose all of my inertia and basically have to stop. Also, just because I am moving forward doesn't mean that I'm not going to stop in time to let you go in front of me. Bicycles have brakes, too. So... just go.

A. Other cyclists: if I'm out of line to B&M about this, tell me, and I'll stop.
B. Vehiclists: if you think I'm out of line to B&M about this, try cycling. And, keep in mind that you move your vehicle by tapping your foot, while cyclists... cyclists do a little bit more work to gain and retain their speed.

P.S. The above sounds bitter. I am not. Furthermore, I only started cycling a couple of months ago, so I just realized this recently. Also furthermore, thanks for attempting to be safe around cyclists. Smiley face.
_

To me,

Single/Old > Divorced
Happily Married/Old > Divorced

And it goes without saying that being young and single or happily married is better than being divorced. So I guess I've just come to the conclusions that

A. Being divorced would suck.
B. I have no shame or problem with being patient with regard to putting a ring on a girl's hand. No shame at all.
C. I have entertained the notion that I might be afraid of divorce. I mean, I have no reason to be, but I am aware that, if, indeed, I am fearful of it, that it might be a causative factor with regard to my desire to be patient and not put a ring on just anyone's finger. Why shouldn't I be afraid of divorce? As noted in point A. "Being divorced would suck." Who wants to argue with point A?

Disregarding the lyrics that come after this line,
"I can tell you this much...
...I will marry just once."
-JM

If you are young and married, congratulations!
If you or someone close to you has or has been divorced, I offer my heartfelt apologies.
_

From my Existentialism notes:

"There's got to be more to our lives than practical necessity, there must be time for the arts, the imagination."

"There must be a greater story."
_

Existentialism Teacher:

"There has to be more to life than the Hokey Pokey, it can't really be what it's all about."
_

Music:

_

This has been dense. Not, like, "stupid" dense. Like, "high density" dense. Here's another song.

(I acutely appreciate the original, remix, and acoustic versions of this song.)

2 comments:

  1. I did not see the moon walking bear the first time. I did, however, laugh when I was looking for and saw the moon walking bear.

    ReplyDelete