Saturday, March 13, 2010

A Parenthetical Post

Procrastination is stupid. I find that I somewhat dread writing papers and such only up until the second that I open Microsoft Word. The precise moment that the blank page appears before me, I've accepted my fate, and the writing and work begins without a problem. Weird.
_

I have recently met multiple people who study Asian languages who like the Korean music group called Epik High. I don't say that I love things very often, so perk your ears... I love (and have loved for two years) the music of the Korean group called Epik High.
_

I, for some reason, have high, very high standards for films these days. (For example, I haven't seen Avatar. I don't intend on seeing Avatar until it presents itself before me and practically pays me to watch it. Get over it.) I mean, I just haven't been watching many movies, so, when I do, I want them to be ones that I'll enjoy (especially if I'm going to spend money to see it in a theater). That being said, I have been excited about this movie for the last couple of months.
_

Does going to see movies in a theater not make sense to anyone else? I'll see a movie in the theater for three reasons:
1. The graphics are so incredible that... they're incredible. (Apparently this isn't always true because I had a friend tell me to go see the latest Star Trek movie in the theater because the graphics were "so amazing", and then Avatar came out and everyone said the same thing... and I clearly haven't seen that either. Soooooo... let's just scratch this so-called "Reason #1").
2. I have wanted to see the movie for a long time. In other words, I want to see the movie, and I don't want to have to wait for it to come out on DVD. (This happens once or twice a year).
3. The movie theater atmosphere is appropriate for the film. (I can only think of one example, and that was the after-midnight showing of "Grindhouse" in 2007).

Furthermore, it doesn't make sense to "hang out" with friends by going to see a movie. Unless you are talking throughout the movie, that's not "hanging out", that's "accompanying".
_

Something was going on at school on Thursday and Friday this week. On Thursday, my Chinese Lit teacher came into class and told us that he got a cold as soon as he walked out of class on Tuesday afternoon. Then, he told us that he took two Dimetapp on Thursday morning, which was one (or two) too many. He kept saying "Soooooooo..." which made me (and apparently a few of my classmates, as well) think that he was going to follow that by saying "... we are going to cancel class for today." False. He proceeded to give his lecture, but his eyes would droop and completely close every couple of seconds. He'd keep talking like normal, though. That was awkward, but not as awkward as what he was talking about.

Here's a conglomeration of some of the topics he covered and words that he said:

Sex
Ang Lee's "Lust, Caution"
Sex
Expanding our Moral Boundaries (?)
Sex
The "F" word
Seeeeeex...
Why having us watch a film is appropriate in a Chinese Literature class (He also teaches film)
Sex?
"Bosom"

...you get the idea.

Then, on Friday, I took a Chinese test in Chinese class. The teacher, though, must be as bored as we've been recently. (In fact, she has told us unashamedly that she has been more bored than us the past couple of weeks... that's debatable). Before class began, she asked my friend Dacre how tall he is. We then started talking about how we use the standard measurement system in the U.S. And then, she stated (in Chinese) (no less than 3 times) that, if I, Chris Kyle, took off my shoe and measured the height of said friend "Dacre" in feet according to the size of my shoe, we would not have to take the Chinese test that was planned for the day.

Top that.

I didn't agree to do that, by the way. Weird...
_

Know what else is weird? It's weird when you get stuck behind an old-person car with the turn indicator perpetually blinking that's going 15 mph under the speed limit, but, when you pass the car and turn to see who is in the driver's seat, it's a 35-40 year old man or woman. (As opposed to the 4' 9" 63 year old snowbird that you thought would be driving...)
_

I was watching the Indoor Track and Field World Championships and Universal Sports.

A. They must be using the online audience as practice time for the amateur sports commentators because... yeah. No.

B. They kept cutting to field events IN THE MIDDLE OF A RACE. Seriously, how frustrating is it to be watching the women's 3000m final and then, suddenly, BAM SHOTPUT! Oh, but wait... we're going back to the 3000m final, 7 laps to go... oh wow, here we go, picking up the pa- BAM POLE VAULT IN YOUR FACE! Oh, but we're back in the 3000m final... etc...

No good.
_

To end on a not bitter note... 春假愉快! Happy Spring Break! (If yours isn't this week, or ever, then "look forward it", and "I'm sorry", respectively.)

1 comment: