Monday, June 21, 2010

Corn... vegetable or grain?

I never felt true, nearly tangible jealousy until my friend told me he was going to the World Cup.
_

It would be a complete understatement to say that I love seeing this much football on AMERICAN TELEVISION. I love it so much. ESPN made a wicked good decision to not have pairs of crack-ass American pseudo-football-announcers (who are probably mostly just American football announcer converts) do the announcing and commenting this time around.

I love I love I love soccer and the World Cup. I must say, though, living in America around a bunch of Americans who only get excited about "soccer" 1 month every 4 years and spend the rest of the time bad-mouthing it is frustrating, to say the least. No, of course it's not everyone; there are plenty who keep up with everything... I just feel like most Americans are soccer prostitutes: they devote their lives to American sports for 3 years and 11 months and then suddenly "Oh, yeah! No, I know, (fill this space with Brazil or some well-known European team) is going to win, and America sucks at soccer, man"... soccer whores?

Yeah, I'm a bit of a football snob, and no, I haven't been this into football my whole life, and, believe me, I know that it's a hell-of-a-lot harder to be a soccer fan in North America than it is elsewhere, but give me a break. To thine own self be true. If basketball and baseball and American football are your thing, that's cool, yeah? Now don't pretend like you love soccer. You're just tricksing yaself, yo.

And yes, clearly, I'm a bit bitter. My solution to all of this? :

Dear American Television (part 2),

Please show more soccer on yourself. I might propose that airing English Premier League games might be a good start. Why? Because even Americans know names like "Manchester United" and... well, yeah. They know Manchester United. So that's a good start...

Sincerely,
CK
_

Gemma Hayes FTW
_

You say that I only hear what I want to, that I talk all the time. I thought what I felt was simple, that I just don't belong, but now that I'm leaving, I know that I did something wrong 'cause I missed you.

And you say I only hear what I want to, that I don't listen hard, that I don't pay attention to the distance that you're running to anyone, or anywhere.
I don't understand if you really care; I'm only hearing negative...

So I turned the radio on, and I turned it up,
and this woman was singing my song, where the lover's in love, and the other's run away, then the lover is crying 'cause the other won't stay.

Some of us hover when we weep for the other who was dying since the day they were born; this is not that- I think that I'm throwing, but I'm thrown.

And I thought I'd live forever, but now I'm not so sure... You try to tell me that I'm clever, but that won't take me anyhow, or anywhere with you.

You said that I was naive, but I thought that I was strong.
I thought, "Hey, I can leave" ...but now I know that I was wrong, 'cause I missed you.

You said, "I caught you 'cause I want you and one day I'll let you go." You try to give away a keeper, or keep me 'cause you know you're just scared to lose.

And you say, "Stay."

Lisa Loeb's song "Stay", edited and rearranged for no apparent reason
_

Why is being overweight or obese and feeding one's child(ren) the same food that one feeds oneself not viewed with the same (or more) disdain as smoking and emitting second-hand smoke with one's child(ren) in the vicinity? How can children learn healthy eating habits if their parents are teaching them to "finish their plates" of crap food?
_

Challenge of the day: go to your pantry. Pick up a loaf of store-bought bread- whole grain, whole wheat, white, whatever. How many nutrients does it have? As in, vitamins. As in, at the bottom of the "Nutrition Facts" label thing? Alright, now how many of those nutrients do you think are actually naturally found in the grain, and how many of those nutrients do you think were added into the mix artificially?

Finally, which of those foods is more nutrient-dense- vegetables and fruits, or bread and grains (even those grain sources fortified with minerals.)

_

Click on this
_

This is cool
_

"If loading takes forever, why did they even make it?"

-Boss' 7-year-old son waiting on his Star Wars computer game to load...

That's a good question.
_

This post is quite bitter. Just imagine me laughing and smiling and you'll remember that I'm not always bitter.
_


No comments:

Post a Comment